PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How safe is (airbus) fly by wire? Airbus A330/340 and A320 family emergency AD
Old 30th Dec 2012, 06:46
Gretchenfrage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's no belittling going on here, simply a reasonable request that the vocal minority acknowledge that they are just that.
The naysayers are, and always have been, a minority - no matter how vocal they have been.

And what other than belitteling is just that? How educated is it to call a minority to acknowledge what they are and by this implying that their opinion is worth less than the majority’s? Isn’t it the very right, legitimate and civilised weapon for a minority to speak up?
Are we back to those kind of times??

If the "bipartisan committeee" you refer to is the IFALPA ADO group, then the non-binding resolution dates from the '80s - not the '90s - and is due for a re-appraisal soon (according to current member Capt. Terry Lutz)
Maybe, but ….. is only criticism of the Airbus system due for a re-appraisal? You do imply by this that the system would be immune to a re-appraisal itself, don’t you?
Such self imposed “immunity” is revealing and exactly what many criticise.

Thus far there is no smoke (in the form of objective data) suggesting Airbus FBW is any less safe than the alternatives available. None. Neither you nor anyone else is capable of wishing such data into being, no matter how much you may want it to be so.
The smoke is admittedly not in form of objective data, but that is the very nature of “smoke” used as a metaphor in this case by the way. It is the many threads on forums, in the press and the many publications about the matter that form the smoke. There is not a tiny fraction of the same for the competing system, which tells a story!
Additionally there are the beloved statistics (hull losses and fatalities) that point clearly to one side. You can always debate about the higher number of airframes of one, but you cannot dismiss that one system has had NO fatalities so far and the other one has. That in itself should raise big flags if your concern is safety at all!

I stand by my argument, even if I am a despised minority:
The Airbus system needs modification.

Happy new year, I'm leaving for the party now.