PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Forum security...freedom of speech!
View Single Post
Old 29th Dec 2012, 00:31
westhawk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Or to be specific the VPN negates one of the easy ways to simplify the task of identifying an individual anonymous poster by name. Other means of doing so are not eliminated by making the IP address unavailable. However since that's apparently the means by which one poster on this board was harassed by a certain well known corporate entity, using a VPN will require them work a little harder to harass you!

It's also worth pointing out that message boards like this one are still subject to whatever legal means may be employed by any entity with a grievance related to any content posted herein. Any decisions made regarding site policy or legal defense strategy will of course be made by the commercial entity which owns the site.

Like many visitors to this and other web message boards, I would like to see message contributors as being free to make any statement they wish as long as it is not unlawful, untruthful or otherwise malevolent in nature. Of course that's just my perspective and others may disagree.

Finally it's my observation that "freedom of speech" is one of the most often misunderstood and misused phrases in the English language. As a contributor to this or any web message board my "freedom of speech" is really nothing more than the privilege of being allowed by the owner to post messages on this site in accordance with their rules. If I feel unreasonably restrained from "speaking" I may take the matter up with them or take my ball and go home. Or even discuss it with other contributors as we are here. (for now!)

Don't look for this or any other "for profit" site whose income is derived by online advertising income to cost themselves money in the name of the elusive right to "freedom of speech" either. Get a VPN if you feel it protects you or just take your chances. My own cost/benefit analysis reveals a rather low risk and so relatively little benefit would accrue. But that's just MY opinion.

Last edited by westhawk; 29th Dec 2012 at 00:34.