PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Not respecting SOPs
View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2012, 15:52
RTO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Each flight crew member required to be on duty in the flight crew compartment shall wear a headset with boom microphone or equivalent. The headset shall be used as the primary device for voice communications with ATS:
(1) when on the ground:
(i) when receiving the ATC departure clearance via voice communication
Regulations like this among with countless retarded SOP's erode the respect for said regs and SOP's. Whats the purpose? Will the airplane fall down and kill people if the FO from far away misses his clearance the first time? Would the use of a headset enhance his comprehension of English? Is it practical to wear a noise cancelling headset during turnaround when you need to speak to the people around you?

Like in one company I was told they add an extra flap check on the list every time a management pilot forgets it. Quite a bit of said type of pilots like to put their mark on something, hence making up something silly in the SOP's. Look at Spanair, their 4 flap checks or so failed, is the answer to increase the amount of flap checks to 6? A well known company introduced Boeing 737's to their fleet with MD80/DC9 procedures, panel scan? what is that?

Some Ill-conceived SOP's are counter productive and ruin the whole purpose. A good guideline is that if you think you know better than Boeing how to operate an aircraft, you are on the wrong track.

I'm not advocating a departure from SOP's but offering ideas why they might not stick in a company.