PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 1968...what would you do differently?
View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2012, 15:29
John Farley

Do a Hover - it avoids G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BEagle (others may find the detail that follows a little tiresome)

As would, perhaps, be the usefulness of a little short range V/STOL jet capable of flying not very far carrying not very much?
Interesting comment - which may say more about the holiday you are having than the actual aeroplane.

The very first GR1s that entered service in April 1969 had a spec requirement for an unrefuelled ferry range of 2000nm. This was demonstrated. When it came to delivering prod aircraft to Gutersloh from Dunsfold in the early 70s with the original engine I used to go from a VTO for no better reason than one could. BTW at that time HSA were paid £750k per copy. Remarkable really when you think it was also the first RAF aircraft with an INAS, moving map and HUD.

The wing gave us trouble in that the spec called for 6g at 10,000ft 16,800lb and 400kt. We could only manage 5 unless we put the nozzles down when it was easy to reach the 6. However the Dunsfold pilots ever thinking of their mates said that was cheating, So they insisted the wing was dressed and modded to achieve the extra g. Which was done.

Since over the years more than 800 airframes were delivered to 6 countries and 7 air arms I guess some people checked the facts. When it came to the final big donk which was flat rated to an OAT of 50degC (!) I simply could not believe the changes from the 1964 low thrust 1hr life (nozzles down) 25hr life (nozzles aft) engine that I had started on.

As it happens some recent Flight International correspondence refers to Harrier myths that would not go away despite being quite incorrect.