PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MEDALS AND CLASPS
View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2012, 06:23
Old-Duffer

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Going back to WWI medals, was there not something called the Territorial Force Medal? The ribbon looked a bit like the 'Kenya GSM' with black and gold in it.

As to comments about 'pre-war GSM'. I seem to recall that that the 'GSM 1919' came as 'first' or 'second' issue and the same ribbon was used in each case. As we know the 'Campaign Service Medal' simply reversed the colours and changed their width a bit. Incidentally, the last clasp for the old GSM was Brunei. It was only in issue for something like a month (Dec 62) and it required just one day in theatre - rather the usual 30. Up to that point the RN/RM had their own GSM but this medal and the Army/Air Force version were then combined.

As to medals being worn the wrong way round, in 1975 I stood at the Cenotaph next to an old soldier wearing the DCM and MM, along with a shed load of others. When I asked why his MM was in front of the DCM he told me it was because of the date they had been awarded! I checked up on him later and he was genuine, just a bit confused.

Drifting the Thread slightly, I attended a BofB ceremony in a church near where I was based and the serving officers were in the front pews with the veterans behind. As I entered my allotted pew, I glanced towards the veterans and there staring back at me was an impressive array: DSO, DFC, AFC and bar - most humbling - only beaten by the bit afterwards when the stash was given his wreath, in the shape of the pilots' flying badge'; which he then turned upside down before laying it on the war memorial - talk about Edna Everidge's spectacles!!!!

Old Duffer