PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "The Shepherd" - Frederick Forsyth Download Christmas 2012
Old 28th Dec 2012, 06:12
India Four Two

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
.... carry on Mate!
Well, if you insist!

I visited Ardmore for the first time in November and was taken to the AvSpecs hangar. Much to my surprise, I was allowed to sit in the Mossie's cockpit. Not the world's greatest picture, but one I will treasure since those are my knees!

A picture from the nav's seat:

In mid-December, the Mosquito visited Tauranga for the first time (unfortunately a week after I left). This Youtube video records the event, including short speeches by Glyn Powell, who built the fuselage moulds and Keith Skilling, one of the test pilots:

After my Ardmore visit, I spent a week in New Plymouth, flying the Vampire (and a Yak-52).

The Vampire is in beautiful condition and is great fun to fly, if you can forget about the 1000 litre per hour fuel consumption (220 gph in old money - about half a pint per second!). Brett says the Goblin is aptly named, since it gobbles fuel.

An effortless way to climb a volcano (Mt. Egmont)

A volcano makes a great aerobatic reference point

I had a great time. Now if I could just win the lottery and fly one on a regular basis.

aah de Havilland....