PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When is an approach complete?
View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2012, 02:45
westhawk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ya gotta admit my version makes a better story though.

Anyway it's based in truth but for one exception. (you'll figure it out by the end of the story)

I was on temporary work assignment in Springfield, IL and decided to check out in and rent a Cessna from an FBO at Capitol airport so I could fly to Dayton on the weekend for a visit to the AF museum. So a coworker and I flew over there in a 172 and had a great day, staying at the museum until past closing. After having some dinner and driving a rental car around Dayton for awhile, the weather started closing in so we got right outta there and headed back to SPI, arriving after the tower had closed for the night. Being the conscientious instrument rated private pilot I was, I had filed IFR but completely spaced on the fact that I'd need to close my flight plan myself since the tower was closed. It was while having drinks back at the hotel bar that my companion for the day asked how ATC knew we'd arrived safely at SPI. Needless to say my mea culpa call to FSS was embarrassing and it was a contrite me who went back into the bar to finish my drink! Turns out they'd already called airport security, who'd verified the airplane was safely parked in it's tie-down.

So I guess that particular flight ended at the bar.

westhawk

Last edited by westhawk; 28th Dec 2012 at 02:48.