PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reputation with Canadian pilots?
View Single Post
Old 27th Dec 2012, 12:17
Chinook

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have flown and trained in the UK, US, Australia and NZ. I work with all kinds of pilots now from diverse countries and backgrounds. Everyone brings their 'baggage' and I am no different.

I don't care where you got your licence or how many exams you passed. I care that you lookout when required, obey the local rules, don't break the cab or me or pax, and don't sound like a fool on the radio. In my experience people who break the rules above come from all countries and backgrounds because they are either: idle (rare in a professional environment), or ignorant of the context of their actions (much more probable).

In converting to a new environment one brings the knowledge from the last one. If the skills and knowledge and techniques are not appropriate for the new environment they need to change. Individuals dislike having to change something that has in the past worked well. If the trainer does a sound job of providing content and context (ie here in xxxxx we don't fly the approach like you just did because yyyyyy) change is contextualised and learning takes place.

When one is told 'Canadians are wrong ....' the question to ask is why do (insert country / region here) do it differently and perhaps it all makes sense.

A magnificent example is a North Sea helicopter pilot approaching a Timor Sea oil rig. Concepts such as TAS vs IAS and power margins are evident in both environments but higher temperatures / DA mean there is a new consideration for the pilot. If it is well explained and contextualised, all is good. If not, scary!

My two cents worth.