PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - why is a box more threatening than a bag?
Old 26th Dec 2012, 20:58
edi_local

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think there is a "special box check in area".

There is an outsized/fragile/out of gauge baggage area where odd shaped, extremely large, small, light or heavy bags can be taken because they are not suitable for the normal belts. I would also send something I consider to be poorly packed or a damaged suitcase. If I had a passenger present a box to me then this is exactly where I would send it because that is the safest option for the box and it's contents. The baggage belt system is meant to transport bags and suitcases which can take the odd knock and tumble. A box is usually cardboard and as such is not able to withstand such knocks and tumbles and will probably dent or tear, which could damage the contents. Hence why I always send boxes to the outsized belt where they are usually handled by a person, or at least have less conveyor belt to go around. I would do this with any baggage someone requests a fragile sticker for as there is no point in sending it down the normal belt with fragile contents.

I reckon your friend was pulled aside because something showed up on the xray which didn't look right and instead of ripping it to shreds they simply questioned him about it at the gate. Remember Christmas crackers are banned on a lot of airlines, so they would raise eyebrows, as would anything which looks like a weapon, even if it's a kids toy.

It's not as silly as you think it is and there are processes in place for a reason, to protect the contents of the box and ultimately ensure it is safe for travel on an aircraft!

Last edited by edi_local; 26th Dec 2012 at 21:00.