PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Seriously obese passenger query.
View Single Post
Old 26th Dec 2012, 08:26
Capot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Surely Not

I say again, lease don't shoot the messenger! I'm only passing on inside information about regulatory deliberations.

In that context you will be interested to know that your idea that all fatties should wear a distinguishing marker such as a yellow F was proposed within EASA (by the Germans, naturally enough) and incorporated into the upcoming NPA (Notice of Proposed Amendment) regarding the identification and treatment of obese passengers. However, a protest was lodged by the French, who wanted th letter C (obviously) and the matter went to the ECHR who ruled that it had to be all or nothing, ie that everyone in Europe should wear a mark denoting their obesity/skinniness status or that nobody should. The Commission then spent some months debating whether to introduce this, but could not agree on the location of the marker; the Southern Member States were n favour of having it on the bottom, while the French wanted it pinned to the breast. The English wanted it stencilled on the forehead. And so on; every meeting dissolved in chaos before breaking up for lunch.

You ask about exceptions for rugby forwards. The AMC for the proposed Regulation does include a section on dealing with unruly but powerful objectors. It was drafted by a Committee comprising French and Italian representation, since those States had expressed most concerns on this issue. The essence of the AMC they have produced is that if the objector is bigger than the official, the official should run away.

As wih all EASA NPAs, it is open to anyone to comment using the Response Tool on the EASA website, and this is the best way to lodge the objections you clearly have, rather than blaming me.