PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Modular Wisdom gained the hard way
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2002, 21:46
aces low

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fish Modular Wisdom gained the hard way

Lessons from the modular route: Some personal views on getting commercial licences from someone who is a newish CPL/Multi and FI

It costs more than you think:
I have discovered that despite doing all the background research and building in some contingency funds that the cost of flying training is always more than you expect. As a rough rule of thumb, take the costs that are advertised and then multiply by about another third. E.g a Multi engine CPL typically costs about £5000 but by the time you finish you will probably have paid out about £7000…if you pass first time. The reason for the extra is that you need to include about £1000 for the test and aircraft hire, on top of the course fees plus landing fees (pricey if multi). The other thousand pounds is probably the result of the lack of continuity that arises in the UK due to ****ty weather or aircraft unavailability. Remember the minimum hours requirement is a minimum, and unless you are naturally talented, lucky with the weather and train at a school where there are under-utilised aircraft and instructors you will probably overrun. I know having just written this that some smart arse will say that he did it exactly on the minimum, but believe me they are not the norm…even the gifted can be unlucky with the weather.
Don’t forget to factor in travel fees and possible retakes of tests (££££)
Clive Hughes in his excellent book on getting a commercial pilots licence reckons that you can get a CPL/IR in about a year for £20000. Maybe you can…but you would need to be extremely lucky, hard working and talented. Two out of three would not be enough.

It takes longer than you think:
Ground exams for the ATPL, flying training and getting to the airfield from home all take longer than you would believe. Yes you can do the JAR exams in 6 months…some people even pass them in 6 months. I would allow double that time to pass all the exams. I got all mine first time but it took me about a year. I know some people that have taken 18 months and still have some to pass. It is better (IMHO) to spend a month revising rather than take the exams too soon, fail one and have to wait a month to resit.
As for flying training, my recent CPL and FI courses took four months when on paper they should have taken two. So as a rule of thumb allow double the time for all tests, exams, courses etc.

From the previous two sections it must be apparent that I believe that it is going to be difficult to complete the exams, and CPL training while still holding down a full time job. It is possible and there are people on PPRUNE who can prove this. I just think that you need to make the commitment, borrow the money and go for it…unless you have kids and things which does tend to slow things down a bit. It has taken me two and a half years to go from a PPL to professional licences. If I had been single without kids, I could probably have done it sooner and cheaper.

Hour Building is a recipe for disaster:
How many time have we seen on PPRUNE the postings about going to the USA for a hundred hours P1 in a month? Hour building is just a great opportunity to polish your bad habits. When you come to do your CPL, you will have to undo all these bad habits, which will end up costing you more in the long run. My recommendation is to start your study for the ATPL and build hours slowly in a structured way. Don’t forget the study is the rate determining step…not the hour building. Try flying with an instructor every now and then (claiming P1 for yourself) to keep your flying from going down the toilet. Some junior instructors would do it for free or at a nominal cost.

Choosing a Flying School
So much has been written on how to chose a school…and no perfect school exists for all people. However, I would recommend that you do not believe the hype and look for the hidden costs…getting a written quotation for any training. Some unscrupulous schools will make you pay for unnecessary approach plates, for instance.

Talking to students in the crew room will pay dividends.
It is only after you have finished your training that you will recognise whether you made the right choice. The first time pass rate is not a valid indicator of value for money…cheap schools that use the CAAFU test as the most expensive flying lesson in history, nor expensive ones that will train you for a first time pass after exceeding the minimums by 100%. (yes they do exist).

Ranting above is not designed to put off wannabes wanting to do a modular route (after all it was right for me)…just remember the following:
· Pay by credit card try and get a career development loan.
· Budget your time and money sensibly (i.e. no rose tinted specs)
· Talk to students and graduates of schools before commiting to a school
· Structure your hour building…don’t burn hole sin the sky
· Remember that the biggest cost in flying is the loss of income you will incur if you fail to manage your time properly
· Make a commitment and go for it…else get out and keep your money safe and mouth shut