PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BELFAST CITY AIRPORT (BHD)
View Single Post
Old 24th Dec 2012, 23:34
EGAC is Better

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those who think BA will leave BHD; why do you think that?

My personal opinion is that I can't see them moving. BHD is a "city centre airport" which makes much more business sense unless BA intend to schedule a 252 seat B763 or a later than 2115 arrival. Moving to BFS will just hand a lot of high yielding ex-bmi card holder business traffic; who like the convenience of BHD, to EI.

Since all of the ex-BD A320's have been reconfigured to 168C/Y and winter timetable started, BHD has had an almost exclusive A320 service from BA. I flew last week and both flights (Sunday out, Wednesday back) were packed to the rafters. My colleague couldn't even get overhead bin space for his bag! There is clearly a demand and changing for change sake seems senseless when it is clearly working.

Now that EI have jumped into bed with VS on mainland domestics, I think it is more likely that BA will go on the offensive against EI by moving BHD to T5. Connections to long haul become more attractive and domestic A321 operation to BHD can be used to increase capacity in an attempt to damage EI. I can foresee stormy waters for EI's codeshares with BA on the BHD run.

I once heard it said that BHD was one of the very few route that BMI made a killing on. Why run away from a winning formula?

Merry Christmas everyone!