PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plane of singer Jenni Rivera missing in Mexico
Old 24th Dec 2012, 16:02
con-pilot

Aviator Extraordinaire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TWA famously spec'ed toggle switches on the B-727 and other aircraft panels to operate backwards from other carriers
Very true and the first time I flew an ex-TWA 727 it sure got my attention.

And sorry West, for some reason I thought you knew the APU was in the main gear well. As Galaxy said, no airflow with the gear retracted.

At a recurrent a captain asked why he got a fire bell, they silenced before they could identify the light in the handle
That was exactly what happened to me the first time the I had an FE leave the APU on after takeoff. We were cruising in the mid-20s, short hop, and the fire bell sounded and my co-pilot silenced it before I could stop him. Of course none of the fire lights on the glare shield were lit up. So we tested all the fire lights, they all worked. It took me a minute or so before the it hit me, APU, so we looked back and sure enough, it was on.

Then the FE, I guess trying to make amends for leaving the damn thing on, pulled the fire handle and fired the bottle before I could stop him. So no APU for the rest of the day. Fortunately that night we RONed at a stop we had maintenance and they replaced the bottle. You better believe that he, the FE, bought the beers that night.