PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nice Caravan deadstick after engine failure.
Old 24th Dec 2012, 15:06
Pilot DAR

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts
SSD, I don't entirely agree. Of course, many things done in a plane can be lethal if executed without an adequate margin of safety (which is often speed), but skidding/slipping turns can be safely accomplished, and should be a practiced skill for all pilots - appropriate to the aircraft type.

Speed awareness is of course vital. but with a margin of speed, full deflection uncoordinated turns can be made. There are reasons for doing them in certain flying roles. But, with any unusual maneuver, it is one of the "swiss cheese" holes lining itself up, so the pilot must have an awareness of this, and be compensating with skill and attention to mitigate risk. I think that we have agreed that this Caravan pilot was, and good on him.

I would have considered a skidding turn to align with the runway with even higher risk than was apparently involved here. I would rather be more aligned (even if not perfectly) with a suitable roll out area, than crossing possible ditches or other obstacles the pilot might have been aware of wings level. My experience with the Caravan is that it has more rapid response to aggressive rudder input than aileron input. If I had to roll to coordinate a turn, I might not get it rolled back fast enough to hit wings level. This is worsened if I stall a wing while doing it (displaced ailerons/spoilers and all). Aside from inducing a spin (which would take a few moments to develop anyway) a rudder correction can be very rapidly applied and withdrawn as needed. During cross wind testing of a Grand Caravan, I was touching down in 25 knot crosswind, wings level, with full rudder applied (both directions, per crosswind direction tested) with no difficulty in control whatever.

Yes, there are types not as forgiving, but it is the responsibility of a truly competent pilot to have an idea of the what the plane will safely do. All planes I have flown will safely skid a turn to some degree....