PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spit or Swallow?
View Single Post
Old 24th Dec 2012, 14:57
Buster11

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Spit or Swallow

The James May item was just what I'd expect from a medium infested with arts and history graduates given a programme to produce on what was essentially a technology topic. Never did we hear anything of the kit on board controlling what was essentially a normal model aircraft (not a 'toy', please, though that seems to be how May regarded it), with some sort of GPS auto heading system in it. It was certainly not free flight in the sense that the FAI defines it, and I suspect radio control was involved in the Lundy landing.

But most of all it wasn't a record; have a look at the Telegraph's obit of Maynard Hill here: Maynard Hill - Telegraph. Hill's model aircraft flew the Atlantic in 2003, with a radio-controlled start and landing, but with an autonomous control system for most of the 3020 km from Newfoundland to the west coast of Ireland.

It seems to me that if radio and TV in the UK treated engineering and science with something like the same amount of enthusiasm and reverence that they devote to the endless ramblings of people who get paid handsomely for pretending to be someone else then we'd all be in a far healthier state as a nation.

Rant mode off. Time for a nice lie down...