PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VH-PGW ATSB report
View Single Post
Old 24th Dec 2012, 00:34
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MLE,
What agenda might that be, other than having long and very publicly advocated the importance of effective communication, as opposed to the Australian approach to pedantic rote "radio procedures" at the expense of effective communications.

Amongst international crews, Australia is a byword for stilted, inflexible and pedantic "radio procedures", if you don't understand this, it can only be your own lack of relevant experience. If you don't understand the problem, you are probably part it, and unlikely to be part of the solution.

I am not blaming individual controllers, they get it in the neck if they deviate --- but "the system", including Airservices, in latter days CASA, and CivilAir are all at the heart of the problem.

The objections to the formal acceptance of ICAO SARPs on the subject (Annex 10, Vol.2 and associated docs.) was fierce.

Fortunately, the combined approach of Qantas, Ansett, AIPA, AOPA and ASAC carried the day, when it came to the adoption of ICAO compliance.

Although at least now we pay lip service to ICAO SARPs, there is still a world of difference between radio comms here and just about everywhere else I have ( and other international operators) experience.

As to the B727/DC-8 and Kingair accidents, I suggest you re-acquaint yourself with the reports of the accidents ,as to the Garuda incident, go have a look, but I remember it all too well, having been there that day, and caught some of it on frequency.

Tootle pip!!

PS: I have just recalled another very serious incident, that highlighted the dangers of "same words, different meanings" , when the Continental DC-10 got all too close to an executive jet in oceanic north east of Sydney.

If you are in ignorance of all the history, the answer is in your hands.

PS2: I was also on YSSY at the time the Kingair crashed, it is etched on my memory. To this day, every time I visit my solicitor, I can see a significant part of that Kingair sitting in his bookshelf, as testimony the the post accident legal battle. The PIC of the Kingair was a distant relative of mine, believe me, I was very close to the whole investigation.

Last edited by LeadSled; 24th Dec 2012 at 00:45.