PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Type rating Costs S-92 and AW139
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2012, 20:36
Camp Freddie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At some point after you get your CPL and after you may already have a number of single engine ratings you have to stop paying for your own type ratings to start your career and an employer should invest something in you.

Up to about 10 years ago in the UK anyway, the spending would stop before the IR and the employer would typically pay for that and twin ratings, then the trend started for people to pay for there own IR to get them ahead of the competition.

Now the next stage seems to be kicking in where people as well as paying for all they have already spent including the IR are willing to pay for massively expensive complex twin ratings.

For me this type of behaviour just destroys the career path for everyone except the very rich, and lets employers who can afford it completely off the hook.

Like I said a good employer invests in training for you, a bad employer will always take advantage of people who have gone far beyond the call of duty in paying for stuff and all you will do is feed this trend.

Lastly under EASA, as I understand it, all type ratings lapse completely after 3 years expiry and need a full type rating course to regain, so if you don't get a position after your self pay rating which is very possible, you could completely waste your $80k or equivalent

Last edited by Camp Freddie; 23rd Dec 2012 at 20:47.