PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Seriously obese passenger query.
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2012, 18:26
Capot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Surely Not
Re read this thread and see if you are really proud to be proposing such a bigoted idea.
Look, I'm only reporting on the latest thinking in the regulatory world that I visit from time to time. Mind you, I would agree with anyone who thinks that placing a dummy overwing exit at every gate so that passengers must go through it to get to the aircraft is a good idea. It not only sorts out those who should not be allowed on board for their own safety, it provides excellent training in using the exit. Who could not welcome it?

The latest development is a proposal (from Bulgaria) to use a new index they have devised known as the Flatulence Acceptability Threshold; in simple terms this involves a sniffer being next to the dummy overwing exit who would identify any passenger who exceeds the FAT index as they squeeze through the exit. Such a passenger would be denied boarding for the benefit of all other passengers. Again, who could object to this sensible proposal from a country with great experience of oppressive flatulence in close quarter situations such as buses and trains?

I should add that the reason that the FAT is indexed is to allow the acceptable index value to be varied in accordance with the nature of the flight and the customs and sensibilities of its passengers. A flight from Leeds/Bradford to Malaga, for example. would have a very high FAT index, while one from Exeter to Chambery would be very low. A flight from Bourgas to Palermo probably wouldn't use the FAT index at all, on the grounds that no-one notices the fruity whiff in the cabin, and that's only from the cabin staff.

Last edited by Capot; 24th Dec 2012 at 13:01.