PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tackling Engine Fire After Take Off in Multi Engine Heli
Old 23rd Dec 2012, 13:57
Hummingfrog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Again TC you have commented on what you think happens against what actually happens

HF: My serve:
The FRC's would be used AFTER you had secured safe flight and NOT before. So everything on the checklist you showed is read when you are above SES and at a SAFE HEIGHT / HDG.
Then you tell the NFP to 'out cards'.
The following explanation should produce your willingness to concede the game

ITEMS 1 TO 11 on the checklist I quoted are from memory so no cards are used. There is also a caveat in the SOPs/checklist which says:-

NOTE: Engine or fuel controls should not be moved in flight below 200 feet agl or when the IAS is less than VY unless there are visual signs of fire (other than the FIRE warning). If rejecting before TDP, there are no PNF actions until the aircraft has come to a stop on the ground.
So while 500ft is generally used as a safe height to sort out an emergency, and avoid bumping into the many rigs there are in the NS it is not the height we start sorting out the emergency.

Crab

HF - how long do you think it will take you to land immediately from 500'?
You seem to have it in your head that we always climb to 500ft, not true see above as for time probably less than 1 min at say 700ft/min ROD, flare land on water!

SASLESS

Why wait at all to fire the second bottle....surely if one is good...two are twice as good
Not entirely true the a/c firebottles are certified to fill the void around the engine to such an extent as to deprive the fire of oxygen. The other firebottle used is the second engines so if you use that too quickly you are getting no benefit while depriving your self of fire cover on that engine.

I am now bored with explaining NS procedures to those who think they know how we operate TC + Crab. Off to start Xmas celebrations

Everybody have a safe Xmas and do follow the SOPs but above all be a CAPTAIN

HF