PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VH-PGW ATSB report
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2012, 10:15
Jabawocky

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Obid said
Be careful on the 5 to the live notion as it is somewhat of an OWT.

Detail can be found in the FAR23 certification standards, which is where it was born from. 5 degrees is a certification requirement.

Reality is for low performance twins it is typically less.

John C Eckalber's book "Flying High Performance Singles and Twins" gives detailed explanation on this as well as methods for calculating the optimum angle for each type.

Apparently research has shown that for every degree off optimum the loss is about 30 fpm and the typical light twins zero side slip angle is around 2 degrees.

How we as pilots will ever be able to fly that acurately in a real assymetric scenario baffles me, but there it is. Perhaps as I mentioned earlier we just need more quality time with one feathered.
Indeed, and John Deakin makes special mention of that point, and in subsequent emails we have had. It may well be the extra ROD is attributable to these things. Again ATSB have not exactly explored this either, as an educational piece for others to learn from in the future.

The report is a disgrace.

Just like MZK, more recently the Norfolk dip. Why are we wasting taxpayers money on reports if they are not yielding any safety benefit.

When I started this thread I hoped for better than this. To say it is underwhelming is an understatement.

I doubt there is anyone there who really understands a piston engine, let alone how to fly a piston twin. The biggest insult is I believe I could have done a far better job. That is seriously sad.

A sad way to end 2012.

Last edited by Jabawocky; 23rd Dec 2012 at 11:01.