PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Long Range SAR
Thread: Long Range SAR
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2012, 10:14
dalek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seems I have started a reasonable debate.

I would like this country to have a full MPA capability, but in the current economic climate I cannot see this happening in the forseeable future.

By the end of 2014, with the A340 coming into service we will have more AT capacity than we need. That is assuming we don't decide to invade yet another country.

There will be futher pressure for cuts. Since the C130J is the oldest aircraft in the fleet it is where the cuts are likely to fall.

If it is impossible to save the complete fleet of 23?, we should at least campaign to keep a Squadron of 12 - 14 aircraft.

A force of this size would including Training Flight, STANEVAL etc require between 30 -40 CR crews. All of these crews would be Truckie qualified and able to take troops and equipment anywhere in the world. This would remain the primary task of the Aircraft.

To satisfy the Special Forces a small number of crews (6 - 8?) would be trained for SF operations.

A similar number of crews could be specifically trained for SAR Operations.

It would then be possible to keep an on base QRA crew ready for rapid response. A further crew could be made available at 6 hours notice.
All that is now needed are a few RO RO ASRA kits.

Top cover by an AWACS would be the icing on the cake, but they have other tasks.