PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tackling Engine Fire After Take Off in Multi Engine Heli
Old 22nd Dec 2012, 22:37
Thomas coupling

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HF: My serve:
The FRC's would be used AFTER you had secured safe flight and NOT before. So everything on the checklist you showed is read when you are above SES and at a SAFE HEIGHT / HDG.
Then you tell the NFP to 'out cards'.

For some a/c a suspect fire is an immediate action and must be recalled from memory without reference to flip cards, I take it with your a/c you use FRC's.

To do this in my defence, I have now to be pedantic.(ie: pick the moment my fire light came on).

So:

ASSUME you have come off the rig in the climb and the fire caption illuminates shortly thereafter, I would 'hear' the SOP's calling, but I would LEVEL the a/c at whatever height I was at, at the time of the fire, establish min pwr speed and ensure ht/spd/hdg was appropriate before moving onto fighting the fire. I most certainly would NOT continue pulling power and climbing.

Obviously if the light came on minutes after t/o, I may well be at 500' by then and so, would level off to move onto the FRC's ASAP. Assuming the NFP was competent and capable of fighting the fire at this stage, I would fly the a/c down hill to a more appropriate height (how you do that in your a/c is your decision. But I would back up the descent with some sort of ht hold. I would be striving for around >200' to bring the FRC's to a conclusion before deciding what to do next.

New balls