PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is jetaifly belgium selection and interview waste of precious time and money ??
Old 22nd Dec 2012, 18:36
exTWA767F/O

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I flew for Jetairfly this year on a 7 month contract as a B737NG Captain (Parc contract) and it was a good experience.

Regarding the pre-employment interview, I found the HR director, a very pleasant lady named Sophie, and the technical/Fleet Captain to both be polite, pleasant and professional. No arrogance whatsoever.

The pre-employment sim evaluation - in a B737-800 - lasted about 1.5 hours and was entirely hand flown and without flight director. The evaluator was a TRE from Jetairfly's fleet office. He, like virtually all of the management at Jetairfly, is ex-Sabena/Sobelair. The evaluation did not involve multiple failures, nor was it exceptionally stressful. It would be fair to say that JAF is interested in your raw flying skills and ability to "chew gum and walk". But, to be clear, the TRE was friendly and made the evaluation a comfortable experience.

The training at JAF is top notch. As with transitioning to any new airline, it is best to absorb and accept their procedures. I found everyone I came across to be very helpful in assisting me through the OCC process.

I had very little reason to hang out in the Fleet Office, however when I had a need or request, I found the management would make a genuine effort to assist. Further, they never second guessed my decisions made as a commander, and were supportive.

The First Officers, overall, are well trained, and many are highly experienced, flying both the 737NG and 767 fleets. The cockpit environment at JAF was very relaxed. The cabin crew are young and attractive - certainly the most attractive CC I've ever worked with - and are trained to a high standard.

The JAF flying has been accurately described in this thread. It's interesting and involves frequent non-precision or visual approaches to mediterranean island airports. Occasionally I had long days. At different times, I bumped up against the legal maximum - 100hrs/28 days - and found it to be exhausting.

Perhaps every 6 weeks, one will be rostered for a Morocco "mission" lasting 5-7 days. I found these assignments to be enjoyable. We stayed in 5* accommodation - all inclusive of food and drink - and were provided with 80euro/day per diem in addition. The layovers are Marrakech, Agadir, Casablanca, and Paris/Orly. If you prefer not to fly a "mission", as a contractor, you can advise crew scheduling.

Regarding time off, JAF was very good scheduling me for reasonable blocks of time off - up to 5 days consecutively - which allowed my family to have some small vacations during the summer. Let me add, however, that it would be nearly impossible to commute to the JAF contract. You really need to live locally or in the region.

As for the JAF provided accommodation, I asked JAF for an allowance rather than accept the airport vicinity apartments since I'd have my family with me. JAF kindly agreed and I found very good accommodation in Central Brussels. Brussels, by the way, is a fantastic city in every way except the weather.

After my experience, what would I want changed? If JAF had a fixed roster, if the number of monthly flying hours were moderated, and if the hourly pay rate were tweaked up to match Brookfield/Ryanair, then JAF would be one of the top pilot jobs in Europe, hands down.

I would recommend the JAF contract to others. Should the impending merger at my legacy US airline go poorly, I would certainly consider going back myself.