PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BIRMINGHAM - 5
Thread: BIRMINGHAM - 5
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2012, 15:52
nigel osborne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
planeaddict..

Why would they provifde an indoor spotting area at BHX? With the exception of Manchester (and even there prices are rising to spot) no other UK airport provides good spotting facilities anymore.

The reason..cost.. look at BHX, I have been a spotter their for nearly 40 years. The upstairs spotting area went as it was hardly used towards the end,and the book shop keeping it going went bust. BHX were charging for entry.

Airports will now only provide spotting facilities if it will make them money..its sadly the only thing that matters these days.

I wish I could say that spootting from the boundries would get better sadly they won't. Seems a grass bund will go up when the Monarch hangar is built next year, blocking views from the golf course path.

The new A45 loop has been dug 20ft down to allow a bridge over the road in the future so no views of the runway/airport from here A new very long grass bund goes up from behind the Tristar Hotel all the way past the runway extension.So no views of the runway looking down the hill southwards.

Sadly also heard that the multi storey car park Elmdon side which currently affords good view from its roof is also to be demolished

Nigel