PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How do I use a Checklist: Thread# 3,254,682
Old 22nd Dec 2012, 07:07
MyNameIsIs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can easily taxi around without using the brakes and no need for any sort of differential power/beta.
In a lot of places, yes it is quite possible. But there are many times when you need more than the 12-14 degrees of nosewheel steering to get you around regardless of your speed.

Where are you going that you need to turn that tightly? Just manage the momentum and the turns take care of themselves, or am I doing it wrong?
Going to plenty on min width runways and tiny parking areas that don't fit more than a couple of aircraft, let alone anything like a Kingair.
Yep, Its easy taxying around places that take 737s+, but some back blocks country strips, 180s on the min width runways the B200 just wont turn without some added extra.

Not saying your doing it wrong, but to have using differential beta in turns as a pet hate I think is probably a bit much.
I'd say people riding brakes and NOT using beta would be a bigger pet hate to concern ourselves with. I've seen people destroy brake units doing this, despite however many times ive informed them (and these are supposedly experienced turboprop pilots).
Having said that though, my pet hate is people spooling up turbines and shoving in fistfulls of fuel when not required (lots will just roll from idle). Somebody might think that a bit much too; but your burner can and turbine blades will thank you for considering their temps later at the next HSI, especially as the engine ages.

Many ways to skin a cat.

What would you do in a PC-12?
Don't know, never been in one. Maybe their nosewheels turn more or they use a tiller? Someone else can chime in with that info.