PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VH-PGW ATSB report
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2012, 06:51
Old Akro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lookleft - are you suggesting we need something like "Aviation Safety Digest" ? I'll step quickly away from the line of fire now!!!

Seriously, I was hoping to get some insight into the accident and lessons from this report, but its so superficial that I think it has little value.

The ill-fated pilot had done a bunch of check flights. They are summarised on pages 12-13. This raises the question of the efficacy of the CASA dictated check flight regime. This report had the opportunity to look at the check flight syllabus, but didn't.

An element of this accident is the diagnosis of a mechanical problem. 30-ish years ago when I learned to fly, most pilots had a strong mechanical bent. We poked around aeroplanes & workshops. This has largely changed now and mechanical aptitude is no longer as highly valued in pilots. This is the way of the world, but it does raise a question of whether fault diagnosis should become part of the training. That might have made an interesting discussion point in the report too!