PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VH-PGW ATSB report
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2012, 06:43
The Green Goblin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I found the report disgusting.

I could have written a better report in a fortnight of what happened.

Basically the cause of the accident goes right to the heart of the culture of general aviation and CASA in Australia.

Insufficient training.

Operating in an often reckless manner from operational pressure in aircraft that are dubiously maintained.

Should a mojave be operating single Pilot doing the work it was doing? I think a Kingair or PC12 would be the prefered option.

To me, the fact the gear warning horn was blaring throughout the entire accident sequence suggest Willow was so loaded up, he had nowhere to go (mentally). He would have been operating at his peak processing ability. He found himself in a situation, probably was second guessing his actions (no pan call), and dreading the return to base to be told there was nothing wrong with his ship. Or to be picked apart for his actions. (from the report he had been put through the ringer on a air return due to pitch lever movement).

The fact he didn't lower any flap prior to the accident re-enforces my opinion of his processing ability.

Another hole in the cheese was when he heard a reassuring voice on the other end of the radio telling him to descend, and he complied.

I think ATC should clear you to your diversion airport with the instruction to descend at will. Or at least 'when ready'.

Imagine his family reading that report. Going from the son who saved the kids at the school and being called a hero, to an incompetent operator with a dubious history (from his so called peers) and selected comments from his training file to support the case. I'm surprised they didn't throw in the accident he had in Kununurra hitting a tree with an airvan wing. That would have made the report really spicy!

I wouldn't wipe my arse with that report.