PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airservices Australia Psychometric Testing
Old 22nd Dec 2012, 03:34
WhisprSYD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When you finish your DTI course you won't be rated as anything. Don't make the mistake of thinking once you've made it to field training (assuming you do) that you'll have learned all you need to know. I'm not trying to be rude, just a quick reality check :-)
Some decent advice. Having completed my training and rated in the last few months I'd say I learned more in the 3 months of field training than I did in 12 months at the academy, and then probably learned just as much again in the first month being rated..

I actually remember someone saying to me at the academy that after DTI you'd 'technically' be able to operate a class G only sector.. it's bollocks. In the DTI module you basically learn how to assess and pass traffic, have a token effort at providing FIS, and learn enough to pass the DTI exam. You'll learn plenty more in the HMI conversion course (where you can actually interact with flight plans) and then you'll get a shock to the system when you hit live class E/G traffic and you have to deal with airworkers, trainee pilots, random conversations and non scripted requests!

Looking back at it all now it's like the Academy was a 12 month testing process, with bits and pieces of valuable learning. You'll learn the background info, a few techniques, sep standards, and how to apply them which you'll use for the rest of your career... but other than that I think it's all about showing that you're a suitable candidate for field training. Passing your last check and getting out of the academy is an achievement, and as a result I think those who do get given plenty of opportunity to rate in the field, but don't think it's the last hurdle, because it's only the beginning.

Merry Xmas to all applicants and trainees in this thread.. enjoy your break while the rest of us are plugging away at the console