PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VH-PGW ATSB report
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2012, 03:28
Obidiah

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Akro

If the statement that the RH engine was exceeding the maximum permissible RPM is correct, then this points to a CSU issue, not an engine issue
I wouldn't be to quick to draw that conclusion, it is not unusual for an engine surging toward full power in flight to briefly exceed the governors ability to catch it at red line, mass inertia and all that. The report did not state the magnitude of the exceedence due to the sprectral measuring apparently topping out at 2600 RPM.

The exceedence may have been only a 100 RPM, enough to generate the comment in the report but not enough to consider abnormal. Difficult to make conclusive statements.

I have no idea as to the natural limitations of the spectral analysis equipment in the circumstances, but I for one would like to know how large the exceedance was.

Can't help but wonder if the ATSB was shaken to the core over the Whyalla report that ever since they have shyed away from technical analysis of pistons. So many of us backyard experts quick to internationally embarrass them if they get it wrong. Humans are nothing if not predictable.

I hope that from all this the training environments are encouraged to remove the "bogey man" mentality surrounding OEI training and encourage a more thorough and relaxed familiaristion to this regime of flight.