PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BRISTOL - 4
Thread: BRISTOL - 4
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2012, 21:11
MerchantVenturer

Brunel to Concorde

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello WATABENCH

The MAN figures were 32,000 in 2007, 29,000 in 2008, 22,000 in 2009, 17,000 in 2010 and just under 5,000 in 2011 when the route was pulled.

Part of the decline was due to fewer daily rotations and to the recession but I can't help feeling that the improved rail connection between Bristol and Manchester also played a significant part.

When Virgin operated the north-south route travelling between the two cities was fiddly with train changes being required most of the time in the Midlands. DB Arriva CrossCountry, when awarded the north-south contract a few years ago, decided to operate Bristol-Manchester direct at, I seem to remember, hourly intervals.

For that reason I wonder whether bmir would think MAN worth a look.

It's excellent news to get FRA and HAM back with the real expectation of more bmir routes to come, judging by the airline's comment.

As has been said, HAM is partly on the back of the Airbus connection between the two cities so I wonder whether Seville (dropped this year by Ryanair) might be looked at by bmir for the same reason, but would there be enough punters in winter to augment any aviation industry travellers? FR was summer-only.

FR was carrying loads in excess of 80% most of the time on BRS/SVQ - not good enough for them it seems - but bmir have far fewer seats to fill, albeit they are not as well known a brand as Ryanair.