PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Not even Gandalf could conjure up a job with a Frozen ATPL
Old 3rd Jan 2002, 03:35
spang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Not even Gandalf could conjure up a job with a Frozen ATPL

Majority or Minority

I finished from Oxford in July Atpl/Mcc. Top school, top grades, top "war stories" from the ex-RAF pilots, 1st time passes all in good time, 14 months.

Things started well, six months of optimism turning every stone worldwide, plenty of application forms from airlines large and small. Yes actually got an interview with a major, soon after 11/9. Lost out to experience...(damn)

Not BACE, although they did graciously call to apologise for cancelling my interviews, when the BA mainline cadet secondment program knocked out all the forseeable vacancies.

(NB Wiping out the tradtional training ground)

Since then of course, more and more experienced pilots are looking for work. One by one the leads have dried up.

Frozen ATPLers fulltime approved school, trained with and whipped BA, BMI, ETC... "average" students.

Sorry no dice, come back with 1500hrs min. on type.

Well, I can hear you saying it won’t be me I'm smarter more hard working.

Thats exactly what I was thinking when I read these pages. Boy oh boy did I ever think I would be writing in this column.

No... I dont have anything missing. I'm connected to upto my eyeball in the industry, recommendations coming out of my ....
Aswell as a degree background, honourable, genuine well liked (I think).

The reality is there is very very little recruitment at the moment and that is that!
That includes instructing I've been out there looking.
Yep to get rated no sweat, £5K to £7K. Jobs very few, infact blackbushe have just released 10 experienced guys and girls into the small market. Theres no money in it unless Mum&Dad can support.

Oh one ray of hope Helicopters, apparently there are jobs...

My wallet can only just hold out for the Ryan Air Deal(£15K) and thats it for the time.

£75K of all my own hard earned money on hold plus another £15K if I'm lucky. oh and half wages HA,HA....

"Being A Pilot isnt Working for a Living"

How ironic, I missed the ambiguity, didnt realise it was a joke.

At present could be truer, Your going to have to have a second income if you think you can afford to rent a flat or pay a mortgage... Errr Dad can I have a word? I wish!

Maybe I can get my old job back, fingers crossed and tread water until the tide rises.

QUESTION: If I could have forseen this situation would I have not trained. No I love flying, we all do and one day someone is going to pay me to do it!

GOOD LUCK my intrepid friends one day we will laugh about all this from FL390...

For now, I am just stepping outside, I maybe sometime... (Only Joking)

Spangler