PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another angle on automation dependancy
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2012, 14:28
de facto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What a rude and arrogant reply to a perfectly reasonable post by Superpilot. You should be bloody ashamed of yourself
Centaurus,your post makes me think of a daddy chicken running to the rescue of his little chick...seriously,come on Centaurus,why should i feel ashamed?
What you quoted me writing was a direct answer to the OP modest:
This is the nature of the beast we are dealing with and the attitude needs to change.
It is very easy to blame the oh so poor manual skills of a captain who denies manual flying to his colleague.
It is usually the lazy captain that has allowed himself to become so automation dependant that he simply cannot be bothered to let his first officer practice his manual flight skills. The common excuse is "workload."
Dont you think YOU are being arrogant ?? How do you know the captain in question doesnt fly as well as you?maybe the fo should ask for his captain sim checks??
Is refusing an fo to fly manually a lack of enthusiasm,laziness?maybe.
Does it mean the captain cant fly if he has to?probably not!
Recommending such fo to ask the trainers instead such a bad idea?i think not!
The trainers are there for a reason,and selected for the principles you seem to soooo cherish and certainly not the money..

I have never denied manual flying to fos,quite the opposite,but I wouldnt blame a captain for refusing,it is his right.
For the OP,use each captain for his strenghts and one day you will decide as a Captain what you believe is most important for your fos to learn from you.
In any case respect your captain for his choice as you would like him to respect you for your request.

Last edited by de facto; 21st Dec 2012 at 15:05.