PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Demise Of General Aviation - The Canary In The Coal Mine?
Old 21st Dec 2012, 06:07
AdamFrisch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is exactly why I'm such an evangelist for electric propulsion in both cars and aviation. Thankfully it's now happening in cars and will soon reach critical mass there. Aviation will take a bit longer and need some more innovation - but it is coming.

The beauty of electrification is that it can't be controlled or taxed as fossil fuel can. Governments love proprietary technologies or assets that can't move freely - that's why almost all countries have some kind of taxation on property. Houses can't move to tax havens. And for gas, they can tax it because we, the laymen, can't produce it. We're in the hands of big refineries and cartels that control the refining and distribution. If we all could buy small refineries and have in our backyard and then order some crude oil in barrels and do it ourselves, then it would be another matter. But we can't.

Electric energy can be produced in a number of different ways, all of them with equipment you can buy over the shelf or construct. Solar, stream, heat, steam, nuclear etc. It's the equivalent of having that own refinery in your backyard. Now, this won't stop them trying to tax it, of course. If you invented a car that ran on water tomorrow, they'd tax that. They're not going to give up billions and billions of gas tax revenue quietly. So they'll tax the sh** out of electricity when the whole car fleet is electric, you can bet on that. But they will never be able to get to all of it - there are too many options to generate electricity. Ban solar power, ban steam power, ban stream power? They can't do that.

Therefore, I see the future as rather bright for GA. I think with electrification, we'll see not only much cheaper flying, but much safer. Maybe, just maybe, the utopian 20's idea that we'd all be flying around in aircraft 100 years later might just happen with electricity. Albeit, 100 years later than planned perhaps....

For anyone interested in electrification and the benefits to aviation, have a look at a thread I started years ago here:

http://www.pprune.org/private-flying...-aircraft.html