PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VH-PGW ATSB report
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2012, 05:14
Obidiah

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I will be interested to see what the CASA puts out in regard to the recommended additional OEI guidance material for engine handling.

The final report is,.. well a report, thorough in some areas wanting in others, no doubt the condition of the wreckage made it very difficult.

But the thoroughness seems focused on audit outcomes and C&T processes, relevant yes, but I really wanted to learn and understand more about the mechanical issues at play. Particularly in light of the history of so many in flight engine issues recorded in the last 4 years, including surging.

Uneven fuel distribution, perhaps, after all they did find one faulty injector, although undetermined as to what when it failed (pre/post crash) but I am not really buying it. FCU issue/fault seems more plausible, but you would possibly still have even distribution, just not the correct A/F ratios. No history on the FCU given in the report, or I missed it.

This report might well be grist to the mill for the likes of John Deakin and co. as had it just been a plugged injector blocking and un blocking and the A/C had (maybe it did??) a more comprehensive EIS the pilot may have seen it for what it was and elected to just reduce power on the R/H and return gracefully. Somewhat supposition though.

I cannot help but feel that the aircraft themselves should be subject to some form of compliance process other than just a CAO statement that it must achieve 1% gradient to 5000’. The pilots get grilled over and over again on performance, but what about the aircrafts performance.

Perhaps a phase in of a structured ongoing audit process on commercial low performance twins where they physically demonstrate the ability to achieve book figures. Those that fall short have a MTOW penalty imposed and an amended MTOW inserted into the AFM. Perhaps a two tier requirement non pax and pax services.

If I were a pax on board I would like to know that the young hour building pilot up front of a low performance twin had at least an aircraft that will afford him a modicum of performance on one.