PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VH-PGW ATSB report
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2012, 01:02
kimwestt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Jabba

G'day,
From the mid eighties, and for years and years "the Operator" concerned tried to have a formalised Check and Training org put into place. The CASA continually replied that because it (C&T) for under 5700 kg wasn't in the regs, it would therefore not be approved by CASA, and if the Operator were to include that in their COM, well the COM would not be recognised. On that matter, the operator wrote to the then Minister, asking for an explanation as to why they (the Operator) were being denied the opportunity to improve safety.
As I understand, the Operator still awaits a reply.
In reference to "working closely", you obviously are not "Bankstownised".
At an Audit conducted by Casa on the Operator, at the opening meeting, the then CASA Area Manager stated, and I quote :-
"We are not here to help you, assist you, or advise you. We are here to audit you and prosecute you. You had better watch out".
To say that there was a stunned silence at the end of that diatribe would be an understatement.
The company went very close, at that time, to ask the CASA team to leave the premises. In fact, subsequently, that team leader was declared "persona non grata" on those premises.
The non conformance issues you mention were very real, yet it seems that the main players in the saga have almost escaped attention.
Why have these persons been let off the hook?
And yes, I agree with you, the ATSB report leaves a lot to be desired.
Why was this report written in the way it has been?
Why were several warnings by senior pilots to both CASA and the company ignored?
There should be more to this report.