PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Thames Airport for London
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2012, 14:01
silverstrata

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And just to add to the confusion, we now have a proposal for a London airport in the Channel. Nice location for an airport, depending on its weather record, but hardly suitable for surface transport to most of England.

Beckett Rankine: £40billion airport for London... in the middle of the Channel | Mail Online

A Channel airport does not give us another Thames motorway crossing, it does not give us the much-needed second Thames barrage, and it does not give us easy surface links to London and beyond. Indeed, it hardly gives good surface connections to Europe, either. Bit of a non-starter, really.

Personally, I regard this proposal as being made for the same reasons as the peculiar Stansted proposal. Hopefully, enough people will look at this proposal and think: "an airport in the estuary would be better than this...."

Precisely.

Libertine:

Forgive the pedantry, but surely there would be a similar risk on a westerly departure from Silver-Boris Thames Estuary Fantasy Airport (or something similar...) as there is from an easterly 09 departure from LHR, except that the impact zone will be Docklands as opposed to Hounslow?!

Which is why I have written to all of these consortiums, pointing out their error and suggesting a S.W. orientation for their airport.

This is why these airports are known as the Silver-Boris or Silver-Foster Thames airports, because they would make a complete hash of the project without my enlightened suggestions.

Last edited by silverstrata; 20th Dec 2012 at 14:06.