PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engine Failure in Cruise - Inflight Decision Making
Old 20th Dec 2012, 07:22
Wally Mk2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's pretty obvious & common sense to most that it's a no brainer going where yr chances of survival are the highest.
What concerns me more is the fact that the other option was based more on commercial reasons, now that's the real worry!
Sure from a commercial point of view going where there is maint etc is preferred but not under a SE scenario in bad WX.

Some years ago now a C404 had a donk take an unplanned rest (****e itself) almost at the start of an NDB App so the driver continued the App as he was all set up but never got in due low cloud & made a missed App diverting to another Vic drome about half hr away where he did an NDB there & just got in, all on ONE engine ! Almost hero stuff that's for sure & bloody scary!
Returning to base where maint was available was over some higher terrain & much further so even under extreme duress the pilot did what I think most would have done. We are talking about piston Eng's at there max output for periods that would make me scream if I had to run faster than I could for even a few minutes.
The other piston donk still keeping you from yr maker is there to help not guarantee anything!

CMD decision making is all about NOT letting commercial pressure come first like a certain pilot did (my assumptions only here & possibly not fact) where his A/C is now part of an underwater aviation museum off some Is!
Save yourself FIRST!

Wmk2