PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Canada: Cormorant & Cyclone thread
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2012, 07:13
espresso drinker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Half competent"....will be taken as a compliment

Latest from the Canadian press Canadian Government Requires Sikorsky To Pay $8 Million In Damages For Late Delivery of Cyclone Helicopters

At least the Canadians got their Cormorants and the MGB of the AW101 has a proper 30 minute run dry time, not certified through a loop hole ("loss of transmissions oil extremely remote", or very similar wording) that was added to the certification criteria after it abysmally failed the test, only for the extremely remote bit to be subsequently proved wrong with a very unfortunate loss of life on the second occassion (after insufficient action was taken after the first). If the MGB of the CH-148 can't still pass the 'proper' 30 run dry time lets hope that the loss of transmissions oil is now less extremely remote than before, increased number of oil filter retaining steel studs aside.

Sorry for the rant (an unfortunate personal trait), it's just I'm more disappointed in the certifying authorities. No aircraft is without it's problems, we can easily get into a slanging match on the merits Vs. the problems of each aircraft in this type, but it shouldn't be something as serious as this. Also, it still upsets me to see the S92 being touted as the best thing since sliced bread and meeting the latest most stringent airworthiness stardards (but I guess that just marketing for you).