PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another angle on automation dependancy
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2012, 02:53
Superpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I try to request an approach with reduced levels of automation about once per week and even then if the weather is good. In about 400 hours of line flying, that request was refused by captains (mostly guys from the so-called brave age) with them kindly advising me: "I would rather you do that with a trainer thank you very much!". So the other day I flew with a trainer who let me fly raw data manual thrust from about 10,000 all the way down into a quiet airfield. The unfamiliarity of flying this way was astounding after so long of not being allowed to do it. As the instructor said: Those who prevent you from exercising your piloting skills are weak and will make you weak pilots over time too. This all in an airline where we are not prohibited from flying manually.

So from my experience, as a relatively new jet pilot and keen individual who wishes to remain in check, I find most of my senior colleagues have very little faith in the skills and abilities of their FOs. This is the nature of the beast we are dealing with and the attitude needs to change.

Last edited by Superpilot; 20th Dec 2012 at 05:35.