PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concorde crash: Continental Airlines cleared by France court
Old 19th Dec 2012, 17:16
DozyWannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CliveL
They didn't, so far as I can see, dismiss the possibility of horizontal oscillations during rotation - they simply did not discuss it.
Well, they mention it in the section you quoted (18.2.3.3), and then go on to discuss what effect that would have had, compare that effect to the evidence presented and conclude that it was unlikely.

I have no idea why they did not discuss the bogie behaviour in the rotation unless, like me, they came to the conclusion that it had no significant effect.
Also, at rotation, the fuel fire had been ignited and presented a significantly more clear and present threat to the safety of the aircraft than anything else. I'd say it's understandable that the report focuses on that from that point onwards.

There are a couple of paragraphs which refer to the camber of the bogie post-tyre failure compared with normal:

When the four tyres are correctly inflated, the vertical load transmitted by the bogie beam takes the axle to its upper stop on the bronze bearing of the fork on the shock strut (shock absorber). This generates a camber angle of around 2.5°. The load applied on the two outer tyres (No 1 and 5) is then increased by around 20% whilst the load applied on the two inner tyres (No 2 and 6) being diminished by the same amount.

After the burst of tyre No 2, the load that it was bearing was redistributed between the outer tyres. Consequently, a new equilibrium was generated around its axle on the outer shear ring, the camber angle returning to practically zero.
so there is evidence that the behaviour post-failure was at least studied.

Last edited by DozyWannabe; 19th Dec 2012 at 17:22.