PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concorde crash: Continental Airlines cleared by France court
Old 19th Dec 2012, 16:29
Lyman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CliveL

Yes, I referred back to my post thanking you for yours and found yours missing.

Until its return, may I make a single point? From the photographic evidence at the area around the shorn runway lamp, we seem to be in agreement that horizontal movement of the wheel truck is apparent. it suggests a powerful oscillation (to me), one that may have had an effect on the early rotation, subject thus far only to speculation, and dependent perhaps on my observation of the tyre marks....

Since BEA have provided the photographic evidence to the public, and have also dismissed the possibility of horizontal oscillation gleaned from that very image, may I suggest that that constitutes the possibility of a glaring error in the report?

And one question? Do you believe the skid marks evident parallel the centerline in the BEA photo (of the carbon trail and kero stain) represent the Concorde's path?

Nick Thomas

Howdy do. There is no record to my knowledge that BEA made any representation at all of Bogie involvement in the wreck, So allow me to offer the importance of the spacer in the accident.

Let us for now say that there was no Titanium strip, and the tyre did not burst. Let us offer further that engine failure did occur, for reasons unrelated to fod, and the a/c veered leftward. This sets up horizontal movement of the bogie, and side loads on the tyres of the left MLG. Without the spacer, the bogie oscillates and vibrates. Depending on the mechanism of bogie disablement, and the clues and cues in the cockpit, might the FE have pulled #2 as he did in the actual wreck?

This was the third take off for this bird without the spacer, essentially each one a test flight, as regards landing gear. The shimmy is denied, as we see, in the report, while I maintain that it is quite possible the wreck was doubly damned, it might have crashed due the landing gear issue alone. (grantng engine failure/shut down).

Last edited by Lyman; 19th Dec 2012 at 16:48.