PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Taking risks when you don't have to - Single engine
Old 30th Jan 2003, 15:00
Steve76

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel

Granny me ol countryman/brethren,

There is no doubt that operationally there are the few occasions that one has to depart the steering to visit the refueling or powerplant division. Been there done that plenty of times ....specially when the generators a bit dodgy etc....
I do think twice about it nowdays, but I know what you are getting at for sure.

I thought that Steve T would hit the nail on the head but he just missed.
My point was that if the 44 took to hovering by itself and burnt to a cinder how were these two going to send for help and MOST importantly who was going to come and get them.

On the top of Mt Cook it will only be half a day before someone notices your not at smoko. Then it will only be a half hour or so before they find you. At the North Pole I would think it would be pretty lonely and cold without your tent/igloo making equipment while you wait for the nearest Navy to rescue you.

Thus my decision upon making it to the North Pole. Stay in helo, stay safe and warm, pat meself on back and have photo taken by camera on remote.

Incidently, there was a really funny NZCAA report in the mid 90's about a fellow who departed his H500 with raincoat and gumboots on. He slipped while hopping out causing the coat to snatch and roll on the throttle. While he watched from the fuel drums, the 500 relocated to a nearby paddock and then to the wreckers.