PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft Hire/Training In Melbourne
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2012, 09:08
Con_G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need help again. I am planning a city orbit as part of my flight but for the life of me I can't find any info. I have checked ERSA under YMML, YMEN and YMMB but found noting regarding a city orbit, googled but the most relevant info I found was this from back in 2006. Had a good look at the Melb VTC and found nothing really useful except for the ctaf just south of The Yarra. Had a look throught the Melbourne VFG and again, no info. I even rang ASA who put me through to MEL CEN but all they could tell me is if I stay below 1500' I'll be right (Isn't the city rC class from the ground up) So, am I missing something? I was sure a city orbit would need notification and set procedures similar to Sydney's Harbour scenic 1 and 2 which has plenty of info as does Victor 1.

Extract from the above link.
....Flight Plan or advance notice is not required. Essendon Tower control that southern end of the CTR zone around the CBD. (Not Melb Radar 135.7 or Melb Approach)

Approach Albert Park Lake from the South at 1500ft.

At APL southern end, with Transponder on 0100 Alt C, call Essendon Tower 125.1 and say; "Essendon Tower - G'day - Warrior, Kilo Echo November, Albert Park Lake, 1500ft, Request RH City Orbit at 1500 ft"

98% you will get it, sometimes kicked up to 2000ft due traffic. If not available
request left turn and holding over Port Phillip Bay until clerance available.
Readback assigned points and altitude.

You'll get a Clearance, usually with an end of orbit reporting point (either back
at APL or the MCG) As directed, track up towards Station Pier, Bolte Bridge (The
two tall vertical poles) in a gentleclockwise turn, and around the northern end
of the City, past Melb cemetary, and around to the MCG and APL. If you want to
go around again ask! Otherwise say Thanks and see ya later. Reset Tx to code
1200. Lookout for traffic, especially the nutter in the Cessna seaplane who
thinks he owns that part of the city....