PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wild deer recovery (video)
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2012, 01:26
newfieboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wild deer recovery (video)

I have had a blade strike in a 520N, I have seen other guys have them, I definitely landed ASAP along with all the others I have seen on various jobs over the years. Mine was the very top of a one inch diameter spruce tree,on a longline,80-100ft trees, tree was on blind side ,it popped the trailing edges on all 5 blades. Would you chance still flying with that.....and that was a single strike, that damaged all 5 blades not multiple strikes. Had a buddy strike the tips of a set of 350 blades a few years ago just before last light middle of winter @ -30c in the Boreal Forest, flying crews back to camp, yep they shut her down and overnighted in the bush. How do you know you haven't just caused a major delamination or worse.

Too insane in my world to keep on flying with any kind of blade strike, unless there is no other option, and then only to get to first available spot to put it down. And before I get flamed, nope not a model pilot, over 12000hrs in the bush, If you believe the pressure is not the same as in the past to perform, you haven't been flying operationally very often. Only difference I can see is we try to do it bloody safely these days........sadly a workmate of mine was killed a few years back in a D model along with everyone on board due to a plastic sample bag being blow through the main rotor, so yeah you guys who think blade strikes are the norm and keep going......good luck, specially in a 500, Darwin at its finest......