PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concorde crash: Continental Airlines cleared by France court
Old 19th Dec 2012, 00:36
AlphaZuluRomeo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi jcjeant,

The little exercise I made just above gives me the opportunity to use its data for a follow-on about that discussion we had some pages ago:
Originally Posted by AlphaZuluRomeo
Originally Posted by jcjeant
I really have no difficulty to imagine the strip being swept along the trajectory of the aircraft, as its 200 tons rolled over it... but it seems that notion eludes some people anyway.
Yes I have really difficulty to imagine the strip being swept along the trajectory (over such a large distance) of the aircraft ...
It is a concept that escapes me completely .. seems some"magic" at work there ..
What is the definition of "such a large distance" for you?
I'm fond of Harry Potter, but not so fond of magic regarding aviation safety.
Please, see this pic I made by adding things to the Annex 12 from final report.

Let's compare to the testimonies:
- Firefigther #1 said "black smoke" (tyre) around S6;
- Firefigther #2 said "black smoke" (tyre) around S5, then small fire;
- Firefigther #3 said small fire around S5, then big fire;
- Captain @ E5 (near the firefighters building) said fire begun at +/- 100m around W7.

I consider Firefigther #1 probably made a mistake between S6 & S5, because 'his' location (S6) is consistent neither with the other testimonies, neither with the material evidences.

Hence we can write:
1,500 m -> S5 TWY, the strip lay around there before Concorde rolled over it;
1,642 m -> first parts found from the water deflector, from slab 139 and onwards;
1,740 m -> the titanium strip finally lay there, at slab 152, along with a big part of tyre (transversally cut);
1,820 m -> the unburnt kerozen mark at slab 163;
1,860 m -> the first traces of soot (hence: big fire);
1,950 m -> the other 'fitting' part of the transversally cut tyre at slab 180;

=> The strip "travelled" ~240 m in the wake of Concorde and/or being for a moment stuck into the tyre.
=> Such a distance really doesn't feel 'magic' to me. Nor 'such a large distance', considering the forces involved.
=> The provided pic also shows that there is no inexplicable discrepency between the firefighters/captain testimonies and the events reported by the BEA, contrary to what some lawyers and/or TV shows would have us believe.

Last edited by Jetdriver; 19th Dec 2012 at 14:58.