PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Females only!
Thread: Females only!
View Single Post
Old 18th Dec 2012, 21:08
mary meagher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello again, Hannah, nice to have your feedback. You mention that both your parents worked fulltime since the day you were born, and that you see no problem with daycare centres and childminders. A mother and father would have to have very good jobs indeed to manage to pay for professional child care for more than one kid, for a start.

I had my four children early while still in my 20's....in those days we could manage on one salary. And when first husband traded me in for a younger model, I had as well some foster children....so I was in the childcare industry as a professional parent! and did if I do say so a better job looking after them than their natural mother.

Too many women now find themselves stuck on the professional ladder - any profession, either postponing a family until pregnancy can be difficult to achieve without IVF, or limiting themselves to one child only, which is then farmed out, not really ideal. So after the kids were all in school, off I went down the M40 to the gliding club; because I could get there midweek, instructors and gliders were more freely available in schooltime! Solo in 3 months, cross country the following summer, and after that, the PPL, with a real advantage as less flying time was required with a gliding Silver C.

If you want to fly, you could do worse than a day course at my club, Shenington, which would be a good start; we have a couple of girls your age, who will be high flyers in every sense. And for your research, our tugmaster is a respected power instructor; this fits nicely round her existing family life. Several other women are gliding instructors.

But in my post that caused favourable comment, I pointed out the shortcomings of being an airline pilot. That is a job that is not easy to line up with being a good mother.

And the pilot's uniforms, in United Airlines at any rate, look truly dreadful on the women.