PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tackling Engine Fire After Take Off in Multi Engine Heli
Old 18th Dec 2012, 20:37
HeliComparator

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts
NRDK - I have at no point suggested that SOPs / EOPs should not be adhered to. So I think you are finding argument where there is none.

My point had moved on slightly, and it was that thoughtful aircraft system design should consider being error-tolerant where possible, since humans are fallible. By having error tolerant system design and procedures, operating switches etc near the surface can become less of an issue.

If a manufacturer simply says "stick to the EOPs" without regard to how easy that is, and how error tolerant those EOPs are, it is failing in its duty to design good HMI. When it all goes wrong due to poor design and a pilot mistake, the bad manufacturer can then just blame "pilot error" and hope to get away with it, at least that's how it was in the olden, less intelligent, days.

I found it rather strange that you felt that any additional information over and above the bare minimum to carry out the drill, might cause you to malfunction. I am sure you didn't really mean that.