PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unmanned drones likely to take over Nimrod spy duties
Old 18th Dec 2012, 18:55
Lima Juliet

Received 80 Likes on 32 Posts
Jamming earthstations with parabolic antenna on friendly turf isn't easy because we have nasty chaps like these ready to sort the problem out...

As for BW - ever heard of multiplexing and link management? You don't need to stream video at high rates if you're doing other tasks that deserve the BW. MQ-9 does this with all of it's sensors - you can select your data rate for what you want to do. For example reduce the frame rate of EO\IR to allow a high data SAR picture to be sent.

Finally, using commercial bandwidth is cheap and also rather 'savvy'. Think about it. If you hide your BLOS RPAS link within commercial networks then they are harder to find than looking at military satellite transponder frequencies - you could call it 'digital dispersion'. It can still be encrypted/decrypted, but using an International Comms Sat, being used by many nations could be very wise indeed (your enemy might have an ally using the same satellite and unwilling to attack it via any means).

I've still not heard a rational reason why CAS and the SofS' original statement is so wide of the mark - all I'm hearing is Ludditism and 'job protectionism'. The US have their own issues with their 'naysaying' personnel giving out quotes like some of the above from Betty and Party Animal - again, normally from those that are either scared of the shift in warfare or simply don't understand what RPAS can and can't do. I do agree a force mix of manned and unmanned is the best way forward.

Some bright spark once said that "UAVs are for Dull, Dirty or Dangerous roles". Well I think they are good for large portions of the MPA role - which is neither "Dirty" or "Dangerous"!

LJ