PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 18th Dec 2012, 18:50
Danny42C

DFCP,

Slight misunderstanding here. I came back in as a Flying Officer, and was still in that noble rank until I could pass my "B". What were the subjects studied ? God knows !

There would be no sense in promoting a short-service officer to S/Ldr. What use would he be to the RAF in the few years he had left of his active SSC ?....D.

Fareastdriver,

No, all I meant was, that besides the chaps you mentioned who for quite understandable reasons preferred to remain F/Os (but who would have breezed the exam had they sat it), there were others who devoutly wanted to get the second stripe, but just weren't the studious kind. My friend was one such. Automatic promotion answered their prayers. Hope that clears it up...D.

(Do you remember the character in Doctor in the House (was it "Benskin" ?) on whom an incautious aunt had settled an allowance of £1,000 p.a. so long as he remained a medical student. He became a professional exam-failurerer !) EDIT: (until his fiancée made him buckle down and qualify !)

Geriaviator,

Thanks for the kind words. You must see Chugalug's marvellous find (I gave the Post number). That is, I think, the only bit of video of flying Vultee Vengeances in existence. Keep on Posting !.......D.

Regards to you all,

Danny.

Last edited by Danny42C; 19th Dec 2012 at 13:16. Reason: Add Material.