PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MMMmmmiles Aircraft
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2003, 13:56
Hairyplane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MMMmmiles more

A message forwarded to me from Barry Clay, an aircraft enthusiast but a non-PPruner -

'Peter and others following the current Miles theme-

I have just scanned through the section on historic Miles aircraft types and found it very interesting reading and would like to add the following -

Yes G-AFBS Magister was indeed owned and operated by dear old Dick Emery,in fact he even used it in a few of those really old black and white oh so English films ! the interesting thing about this particular aeroplane is that it was painted in the usual trainer camouflage with yellow undersides but retained its British civil registration instead of its impressed serial BB661,after a spell with the Skyfame museum at Staverton it passed onto the Imperial War museum collection at Duxford where as far as I know it still exists amongst the collection.(It does! HP)

With regard to the Miles Marathon and if any of these exist,sadly no,although they were last used by Derby Aviation (the former company before British Midland came along under Ron Paines leadership). All of these airframes were scrapped off apart from one small item,an upper fuselage section used as a railway shelter on a preserved railway at Market Bosworth. I have a photograph somewhere of this small and fairly insignificent item in my files somewhere,it existed at least in the eighties.
Now on a more delicate subject of the Miles aeroplanes currently stored in the old hangar the far side of the Cosford museum,this is a very sad state of affairs with preservation to the airframes not getting any better,sitting on their flat tyres with a floor covered in bird droppings and branches.
Despite attempts to save these aircraft they cannot be touched (for reasons that can't be posted here - HP),a very sad and awkward state of affairs.
I am sure if they could ever be released then someone would extend the loving care they deserve and get them flying again,although the Miles Monarch G-AFRZ would need extensive work to get her airworthy,almost new wood throughout,nothing that Skysport Engineering or Speedwell Sailplanes could not tackle with confidence without a little money being thrown at such a project.'

--------------------

Yes, it would indeed be wonderful to see these 2 important aircraft saved.

2 Monarchs (Bob M and Ian D) and a Witney Straight all suffering in less than ideal storage yet not for sale and no discussion even possible in this pursuit.

Isn't that such a shame...??

HP